Visit "The Town of Carbondale, CO Public Art Commission"
on Facebook for current updates
Town of Carbondale Public Art Commission Story Map with locations of the
2018-2019 Art Around Town show and Permanent Sculptures
The call to artists for the 2020-2021 Art Around Town show is now open on CAFE. Visit https://www.callforentry.org/
for submission details. Deadline to apply is 2/2/20.
The Town of Carbondale Public Art Commission Mission:
- The Carbondale Public Art Commission will evaluate sites within the Town of Carbondale appropriate for public art.
- To promote local artist's work.
- To recommend to the Board of Trustees the purchase or other acquisition of works of art that are suitable for public display.
- To pursue all means of funding to purchase, promote and commission works of art.
- To work in cooperation with other public agencies and private individuals to promote art awareness.
Susan Johnson, Co-Chair
Carol Klein, Member
Mark Harris, Member
Brian Colley, Member
Casey Bowen, Member
Beth White, Member
Britni Johnson, Member
Laurie Lindberg, Town Staff Liaison
The Town of Carbondale passed a resolution, (2005-14), creating a "One Percent for the Arts" program. The intent was to enhance the aesthetic environment of its public spaces, buildings, and property by integrating high quality urban design and art into its capital improvements projects, and 2) to create a more visually pleasing environment and expand the opportunities for residents and visitors to experience quality works of art by facilitating the acquisition, display, and develpoment of such works of art in public places.
The ordinance authorizes the allocation of funds for art in the construction of certain Town capital improvements projects, establishes a method of calculating art appropriations for Town capital projects, provides for an art selection process, and establishes a separate "1% for the Arts Fund".
Local artists are given the opportunity to display their art as part of the annual rotating Art Around Town sculpture show. These two sculptures will be on display and available for purchase until May 2020.
"Eagle", by Richard Arnold on 3rd St.
"Bone Broken", Chet Haring on 3rd St.
- Roaring Fork Weekly Journal, Carbondale sets the standard for public art consciousness, February 2019